Removal of adenoids in a child: reviews and consequences
Periodically all babies suffer from coldsdiseases. However, some children get sick too often. Constant ailments force parents to look for the cause of such a problem. Often frequent colds are associated with uncontrolled growth of lymphoid tissue of the nasopharyngeal tonsil - adenoids. In this case, lymphocytes cause chronic inflammation. That is why most doctors advise the removal of adenoids in a child. The reviews confirm that this is the main method for improving the baby's well-being.
The increase in adenoids in children occurs inseven years of age. It was during this period that their activity increased in connection with the development of the immune system. With a significant increase, an operation can be recommended. Removal of adenoids in children is treated with the following symptomatology:
- The kid practically does not breathe through the nose at night. With an increase in adenoids of 2-3 degrees, this symptomatology is observed in the afternoon.
- At night, the child heavily snorts, snores. There may even be a delay in breathing - obstructive sleep apnea.
- The child's speech ceases to be legible. The voice becomes nasal.
- The hearing decreases. Sinusitis and otitis recur.
- The child is seriously ill and often has viral, cold ailments. Often the baby is diagnosed with pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis.
Diagnosis of adenoids
Visually, when the child's mouth is open, seethe problem is impossible. Special methods can be used to diagnose adenoid outgrowth. The doctor examines them with a mirror, makes a study of the fingers and endoscopy of the nasopharynx. After diagnosis, the doctor decides whether the removal of adenoids in the child. The reviews show that such an operation has a beneficial effect on the further well-being of the baby.
Let's consider in more detail the diagnostic methods:
- Examination by the finger method. Today, this study is almost not used. Because this is a little informative and painful examination.
- X-ray. Such a study shows the magnitude of adenoids. However, the inflammatory process gives little information. In addition, X-rays - not entirely harmless for the child's body examination.
- Endoscopy. The most painless and safe study, providing a complete picture of adenoids proliferation. A compulsory condition in this case is a completely healthy child. If the baby has recently recovered, the clinical picture of the inflammatory process will be false.
When the removal of adenoids is necessary
Most parents are afraid to have surgery. Removal of adenoids, testimonials testify to this, is constantly postponed. Many are trying to find an alternative in conservative treatment. Today, many methods of such healing have been developed. But, unfortunately, not all of them are effective. In addition, for complex cases, the only solution is surgical removal of adenoids in a child. Parental feedback confirms that after such intervention many health problems can be avoided.
In what cases is the operation mandatory? The decision on the need for surgery is taken with the following symptoms and diseases:
- If the baby is seriously disturbed by breathing throughnose. Apnea syndrome occurs, with a delay of 10 seconds. This condition is very dangerous for the baby, because it can lead to permanent hypoxia.
- In case of degeneration of the tonsil in malignant.
- With exudative otitis. In the middle ear, mucus accumulates, which leads to a decrease in hearing.
- If the proliferation of adenoids provokes maxillofacial anomalies.
- In case of ineffective treatment of adenoids conservative methods throughout the year.
Contraindications to surgery
There are cases when an operation can harm the body. Removal of adenoids in children is not carried out under the following circumstances:
- blood diseases;
- presence of an infectious disease, influenza (surgical intervention is allowed only 2 months after recovery);
- children who have been diagnosed with bronchial asthma, serious allergic diseases (treatment is performed exclusively by a conservative method);
- with cardiovascular ailments.
Methods of adenoid removal
In modern medicine, there are several ways to carry out the operation.
The traditional method
Surgical intervention is carried out with the help ofconventional surgeon's tools. This removal option has significant drawbacks. Unfortunately, with this method, it is not always possible to completely excise enlarged tissue. And this is fraught with a relapse. In this case, the adenoids again grow, and the child needs another operation. In addition, the healing with traditional excision occurs rather slowly. After all, the wound bleeding surface is large.
This is a more effective method. This operation is bloodless and painless. The laser beam affects only the area of inflammation, while quickly eliminating infectious edema. Laser removal can be performed at any stage of complexity. For small adenoids, a carbon dioxide device is used. In this case, they are not removed, but with the help of a laser, they are smoothed out. For excision of large tonsils, the method of coagulation is used. This operation is performed without anesthesia, because the laser has an analgesic property.
Endoscopic removal of adenoids
This is the most modern method. If the traditional method of excision of adenoids was made almost "blind", then with this method the endoscope is inserted into the oral cavity or half of the nose. This allows you to see perfectly the entire surface of the operation. Of course, this method guarantees complete removal of adenoids. And protects a small patient from re-growing them.
Methods of anesthesia
This question almost always excitesparents. Doctors say that anesthesia with adenotomy (surgery to remove adenoids) is not required. Lymphoid tissue does not have nerve endings. In this regard, the patient does not experience pain. The problem lies precisely in the psychological factor. The child is small enough, so the operation is frightened.
In Western clinics long carry out removaladenoids under anesthesia. Today, our hospitals have also followed the example of foreign colleagues. However, one should not forget that any anesthesia is a serious risk factor. Especially if it is a child's immature body.
Sometimes operations with the use of localanesthesia. Anesthetic substances are sprayed on mucous membranes. But the psychological factor can play a role. The kid sees blood and is able to get very frightened.
Today, most parents insist thaton general anesthesia for their children who need to carry out removal of adenoids. The testimonies indicate that the babies in this case more favorably tolerate the operation. They remember without shudder the ward, the doctors. Children who suffered an adenotomy without "sleeping" and observed the course of the operation, in most cases received a psychological trauma.
Consequences of the operation
Most often, the results are favorable. After surgery (removal of adenoids), the ability to breathe naturally with the nose is returned to the babies. Children become less susceptible to viral and colds. In small patients immunity is significantly strengthened. The auditory function is perfectly restored, the quality of speech is improved.
However, in some cases, the results are disappointing - there are repeated overgrowths of the tissues.
The reasons for such negative consequences can be found in the following factors:
- Incomplete removal of adenoids. Even a small piece can grow to a considerable extent.
- Age. According to statistics, patients who undergo surgery for up to three years often face a relapse of the ailment.
- Allergy. This factor can reduce immunity. As a result, already completely excised tissues can reappear.
Feedback on the operation
Virtually all parents note that afterremoval of adenoids in the child quickly enough to normalize the condition. Children who snore fairly, after excision of nasopharyngeal tonsils got rid of this "habit". The voice grew louder.
Parents notice that after surgery, babiesmuch less sick. At the same time, serious complications and consequences of colds no longer cause. After a while, hearing loss was restored to children suffering from deafness.
Parents note and the fact that delaying the operation leads to deformation of the jaw. As a result, small patients have to wear a special plate or braces.
In connection with the deterioration of the ecological situationinflammation of the adenoids began to occur quite often. Some babies are well suited for conservative treatment. To others, who have the stage of an ailment started, adenoid removal is recommended. The child, the testimonies eloquently confirm this, after the operation all functions are restored.