Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

The basis for the future of the country's flagshipindustry was the equipment of the Kronstadt Iron Foundry, transferred to St. Petersburg at the very beginning of the 10th century, at the behest of Emperor Paul.

Kirov (Putilov) plant. History of formation

The first products produced in 1801enterprises became cast-iron kernels for the needs of the artillery of the army and navy. The main merit of the Scotsman, Charles Gascoigne, appointed by the director of the state plant, was the introduction and development of new casting technologies. In the first decade of exploitation, the production of architectural artifacts from cast iron was mastered, the production of soldiers' rifles, weights and weights, lights and buttons was set up.

In 1812, the factory created an engineeringdepartment, and in the erected stone workshops launched the production of steam engines, mechanisms, machines for their own needs and the developing industry of the Russian Empire. Huge damage to the plant was caused by flooding in 1824: 152 people died, equipment and shops were destroyed, flooded and rendered useless.Putilov Factory. History

Engineer and entrepreneur

In the next forty years, the foundry inSt. Petersburg was replaced by several owners, and even a large state order for the delivery of railroads in 1844 did not save the enterprise from bankruptcy.

In 1868 the plant was bought by NicholasIvanovich Putilov, who managed in 12 years to turn it into an advanced profitable diversified enterprise. Only a year later, the Putilov plant produced more than 80 tons of rail steel per day, a quality superior to English products, and also mastered the production of Bessemer steel. In 1872, with the formation of the Putilov Factory Society and the launch of a steel-rolling workshop, the product range of the enterprise was complemented by bridge structures, wagons and locomotives.

After the death of Nikolai Ivanovich in 1880followers realized his long-standing dream of uniting the Putilov Plant with the Marine Canal with Kronstadt ensuring the passage of ships not only for the shipment of the plant's products and for the supply of raw materials, but also for the needs of the whole of St. Petersburg. It was under Putilov that the foundations for the professional training of plant personnel were laid, the development of the social infrastructure of the enterprise began.Putilov Plant

At the decline of the empire

By the beginning of the 20th century the Putilov Plantthe unconditional leader among domestic metallurgical and machine-building enterprises and one of the largest in Europe. The staff of employees exceeded 12,4 thousand people. The first military ships were built at the plant's slipways: first destroyers, and then - cruisers and destroyers. Among the unique products of that time - the fastest destroyer Novik, the quick-firing field gun, the first anti-aircraft gun of the Lender system in the world, the floating 100-ton crane carrying the labor watch and in the present days.

To a new strategic level within the framework of the project"Russian Krupp" brought Putilov factory namesake of the famous owner - A. I. Putilov, included in the board in 1910 and invested in the company more than 30 million rubles. (at the cost of all property 19 million rubles.) The monthly production of artillery pieces was increased more than fivefold. For many of the positions it produced, the plant was a monopolist, which guaranteed huge profits to the owners. However, the revolutionary movement that swept over the country made its own corrections.Putilov Plant in Petrograd

The Soviet period

Putilov Plant in Petrograd on the Eve of the RevolutionIn 1917, the state had about 35,000 workers. It was the mass performance of his team that served as the beginning of the February coup. By the end of the year the enterprise was nationalized and was later renamed "Krasny Putilovets", and in 1934 it was named after SM Kirov. For the industry of the young Soviet Republic, the plant produced metal rolling, rolling stock, equipment for hydroelectric power plants, tractors, and a series of L-1 cars. In 1939, the world's first heavy tanker line was launched.

During the Great Patriotic War, part of the plant withthe personnel was evacuated to Chelyabinsk. The remaining shops in the besieged Leningrad practically on the front line continued to produce and repair tanks and armored vehicles.Red Wayfarer

At the end of the war, the factory was redesigned for the serial production of military equipment, equipment for the energy and nuclear industry, and tractors Kirovets.

Current state

In 1992 the JSC "Kirovsky Zavod" was established. Heavy socio-economic conditions forced the company's leaders to re-orient production once again, simultaneously introducing competitive technologies. Among the main products of the plant are armored vehicles (Onega, Ladoga, Combat), road-building and special equipment for the construction, gas and oil industries. Tractors "Kirovets" are in demand not only in the domestic market, but also actively exported to 14 countries.

Kirov gearbox turbines and other power equipment are installed on many nuclear submarines, icebreakers, military and merchant vessels.Kirov Plant

Further perspectives

According to the unanimous opinion of experts and analysts,Kirov plant - one of the locomotives for the development of domestic engineering. Among the immediate strategic tasks, the managers of the enterprise especially emphasize the gradual withdrawal from the total exploitation of the dilapidated equipment and the technical re-equipment of the basic production facilities, the improvement of the organization of labor and training of the personnel fund, the search for and the development of new lines of business. It is multi-profile (in the company - more than 30 subsidiaries with a staff of about 6 thousand) will stay afloat in difficult economic conditions. Prospective projects are construction of a large container terminal on the shoreline of the plant, provision of third-party mooring places, bunkering services.

It remains to be hoped that a balanced and competent policy of the Board of Directors will restore the former grandeur to the Kirov (Putilov) plant.

Related news

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products

Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products Kirov (Putilov) plant: history, products