How to cook onion soup?
Onion soup is a traditional French dish. It is moderately thick, has a stunning aroma and a peculiar taste. The recipe for its preparation is very simple, so even an aspiring cook will be able to master it.
Let us dwell on how to cook French onion soup.
Ingredients for soup
The following ingredients are required to make onion soup:
- onions - 4 pcs .;
- carrots (small) - 1 pc .;
- vegetable broth - 800 ml;
- wheat flour (top grade) - 4 tbsp. l .;
- vegetable oil - 6 tbsp. l .;
- white wheat bread - 4 pieces;
- hard cheese - 50 g;
- salt - to taste;
- thyme - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
Onion Soup Recipe
- Peel the onions and chop them.
- Wash carrots and grate.
- Pour the vegetable oil in a saucepan and put on a slow fire, then throw the onions and carrots in there, close the lid and stew for 20 minutes.
- Spread the flour evenly over the entire surface of the vegetable mass, and then mix thoroughly.
- Salt the onions with carrots, and then add the thyme and pour over all the broth.
- Boil the soup for 10 minutes.
- Grate the cheese, then sprinkle the pieces of bread on them and place them in an oven preheated to 190 degrees. It is necessary that the cheese is carefully browned.
- Cut ready croutons into small squares.
- Pour the finished soup into plates and garnish with toasted croutons on top.
This recipe is a classic, but you can change it at your discretion. For example, instead of white bread, you can use gray or rye. The croutons from it will have a savory aroma and taste that will make the soup even more original. You can add various spices and spices to it: basil, black pepper (peas), cloves, and so on. If you want the soup to be less thick, then put not 4 spoons of flour, but 2-3, but be sure to use only the highest grade, otherwise the soup will turn out dark.