How to connect a guitar?
Watch the video
Connecting a guitar to a computer is necessary if you want to record songs on a PC or do sound processing. To do this, you will need a tool cable with jack plugs and a 3.5 mm mini-jack adapter. Consider how to connect a guitar to a computer with their help.
Connecting a guitar to a PC: instructions
To connect a guitar, it is better to have a computer with a good discrete and sound card - then the recordings created using it will be of good quality. The process of connecting a tool to a PC consists of these steps:
- Connect one end of the instrument cable to the guitar in the appropriate socket. It is usually located at the bottom of the tool on the right.
- At the other end of the cable, fix the previously prepared adapter to the mini-jack. Connect it to the front panel of your PC in the audio jack. If it doesn’t appear there, plug the cable into the Mic In microphone jack (pink color) located on the back panel of the system unit.You can also connect it to the Line In input line (blue), but note that then the guitar will sound muffled, but then if necessary, you can adjust this nuance.
- If you managed to successfully connect a guitar, then a window will appear on the PC screen, where it will be written that the system has detected new equipment. You need to click on the "OK" button.
- Now in the same window, go to the tab called "Mic in at the rear panel". In it, set the desired volume level for the instrument, without forgetting to turn it on. If the sound is not enough for you, then you can increase it with the button "Microphone Boost". There you will need to adjust the volume in decibels.
Installing software and drivers
Once you have managed to plug in your guitar and make basic adjustments, you will hear a “raw” sound from your speakers. To make it as close to “live” as possible, you will need to download the program (and drivers. Everything is installed in the normal mode on the PC. Next you need to do the following:
- Run the program Guitar Rig 5, after which you will have a window where you can perform audio settings. You need to click on the Audio tab.
- Opposite the item “Drive” set the value “ASIO”.
- Near the line “Device”, select among the options presented in the drop-down menu the value “ASIO4ALL v2”.
- Opposite the Status item, set the Running value.
- Near the line "Sample Rate" you will need to select the value "44100".
- Now in the same window, click on the “ASIO Config” button, then the settings tab for the installed drivers will appear. They will need to include a linear output and input, then a clear sound will appear. To do this, you will need to select the items “Realtek HD Audio output” and “Line in at rear”.
- Then pay attention to the left side of the settings window. In it, you can choose various effects for a more original guitar sound at your discretion.
In the first method it was proposed to connect a guitar without additional equipment. But this can also be done with the help of special devices, for example, preamplifiers or direct boxes. The guitar in them is connected via cable to a special connector. A direct box or preamp is connected to the computer using a special wire that comes with it. It is installed in the line input of the card. It is important to note that you still need to install the ASIO driver,since only with him it will be possible to achieve the highest quality sound and use special effects when creating compositions.