Coat of arms of Ryazan: what symbolizes, description
Ryazan is one of the oldest Russian cities, a cultural center whose history goes back over 900 years. We suggest that you, in addition to answering the question “What does the emblem of Ryazan symbolize?”, Familiarize yourself with information that will be of interest to both residents of the city and its guests.
Ryazan is an industrial, cultural, and administrative center of the region of the same name (located in its north-west). At the beginning of 2017, 537.8 thousand people lived in the city (in 1970 - 350 thousand, in 1959 - 214 thousand, in 1939 - 95 thousand). There are 4 administrative districts in the city.
The city is located on the right bank of the Oka and is a large river pier. Ryazan is also an important railway hub on the way to Moscow, Vladimir, Ryazhsk. A number of key highways pass through it, in particular the M6 (Moscow-Tambov-Volgograd) and the M5 (Moscow-Samara-Chelyabinsk). Distance from the capital - 180 km.
A bit of history. The settlement was founded in 1095 under the name Pereyaslavl Ryazan. At that time, Ryazan was called the city 50 km from the modern one.The renaming took place several centuries later - in 1778, in honor of the memory of the glorious first Ryazan burned by the Mongol-Tatars in 1237. In 1796 the city became the center of the Ryazan province.
The Soviet authorities did not rename it, when the USSR in 1937, the city of Ryazan became a regional, as well as a major industrial center. And today, 60% of the gross regional product falls on its capital. In total, the city has about 19 thousand various industrial enterprises. The most significant of them are:
- oil refining;
- chemical fiber;
- radio factory;
- forge and press;
- producing calculating and analytical machines;
- producing thermal appliances;
- wood processing;
- cardboard and ruberoid, etc.
The city has 5 main institutions of higher education, 11 secondary.
Coat of arms of Ryazan - description
The coat of arms is one of the most magnificent, elaborate, executed according to all the canons of European heraldic doctrine. If you study it carefully, you can learn a lot about the history of the city and region.
The final image was approved in 2008 (first draft - 1994). The author of the modern picture is M. Shelkovenko.
Most who saw this heraldic symbol are interested in who is depicted on the emblem of Ryazan. The protagonist is the Grand Duke Vladimir Monomakh. He stands on the background of a golden field, dressed in scarlet (scarlet) epancha. He has a green cap, a caftan and boots, silver pants, a belt, a sword and his scabbard. The coat of arms of Ryazan is crowned with a luxurious, detailed Monomakh hat.
Two more heroes are holding the shield depicting the prince: a golden gryphon-phoenix with scarlet lights all over the body and the same tongue and a silver horse with a golden mane and tail. They stand on arabesque - a golden twisted foot. The coat of arms of Ryazan also contains a gold ceremonial chain and a ribbon of the same color, on which the motto is written: "A glorious history is a worthy future."
The history of the Ryazan coat of arms
Milestones in the history of the heraldic symbol:
- The symbol of the city in the XVI century was a wild horse, without a rider, without a harness (image from the found seal of the city).
- In the 17th century, the emblem of Ryazan is a warrior lonely standing in a field, a prince.
- 1672, "The Royal Tituliarnik" - color image of the coat of arms with a warrior.
- 1730, "Znamennaya gerbovik" - a detailed image of the mentioned coat of arms.
- 1779 - Catherine II approved this symbol as the coat of arms of the Ryazan governorship.
The flag of Ryazan has much in common with the image on the coat of arms.Its author is also Mikhail Shelkovenko. The symbol was finally approved in 2001.
Flag - a cloth-rectangle with an aspect ratio of 2: 3. The background is golden yellow. In the upper left corner there is a detailed traced Monomakh hat. The prince himself is placed in the middle of the composition, his image is identical to that on the emblem of the city. The height of Monomakh is 3/4 of the width of the flag, the prince's headdress is 1/4.
Origin of city name
Let us briefly touch on various interesting versions of the origin of the toponym:
- XVIII century (Catherine II, Tatishchev, Boltin) - transformed and transferred to another settlement name of the ancient city of Tmutarakan.
- The first half of the XIX century (Vozdvizhensky) - the name comes from the naming of the Old Russian coin Rezany, incisor. The so-called silver Arabian “money” Dirgem was cut into pieces - the population of Porechye led an active trade with Oriental merchants.
- 1830 (Makarov) - "Ryazan" from "cut", "massacre" - during the raids of nomads, this area of Russia was the most "bloody".
- Lviv, Makarov, Ilovaisky were the origin of the name considered the word "cassock" - a swamp. This is quite a characteristic landscape for the Ryazan region.At the same time, historians emphasized that “rya” - swamp, dampness (Finns, Swedes, Mordovians), and “sa” - a certain place (Tatars, Tunguses). However, the hypothesis can be challenged, since the first Ryazan was located on a dry place, the high bank of the Oka, and in the old Russian documents the city was called Rezan, Rzan.
- Orlov, Lebedeva, Nerozak was associated with the name of the city with a river flowing near it, now dry. It was found in the basin of Oka Ryazya, Ryazanka, Rezanka.
- Dvorov believed that the origin of the name - "ryazh", wooden fortress design.
- A popular version is that the city received its name from the cut — a wild apple tree. There is evidence that in the territory of the Ryazan region there was a great many of these fruit trees.
- Lubomudrov argued that the name of the settlement is the changed name of the Mordovian Erzya tribe, Erzen, who lived in the territory of the future city.
Sights of Ryazan
A dozen objects that you should definitely visit a person who came to this city:
- Ryazan Kremlin (XVI-XVII centuries) - belltowers, towers, ramparts, eight temples, four historical museums with different subjects.
- The Assumption Cathedral on the territory of the Kremlin (1693-1699) is the largest iconostasis (155 icons), 27 meters high.
- Cathedral Park - propylene, Ilyinsky Cathedral, Church of the Savior on Yaru, a chapel in honor of the 900th anniversary of the city.
- The historic center of the city is a quadrangle of Lenin, Yesenin, Griboedov, Kremlin Wall streets.
- Postal street is a pedestrian zone.
- Upper Garden ("Natashkin Park") - rock garden, Lower Garden ("Drunk Park") - summer building of the Nobiliary Assembly.
- The Museum of the History of the Airborne Forces is a unique exposition in the city-homeland of the Airborne Forces.
- Boat cruise around the Oka.
- Museum Reserve Sergei Yesenin "Konstantinovo" - the estate of the poet's parents, Zemskaya school, Kazan Church.
- Solotcha - Christmas-Bogoroditsky monastery, old wooden houses, the Church of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, reserve "Meschera"
Ryazan is a rare combination of an ancient cultural and modern industrial center. For acquaintance and study, both the history of the city itself and its name, symbols of heraldry, are interesting.